Today was just so lovely that it called for BBQing! It was upper 60s here today and now most of our snow is melted. Crazy that just a few days ago we got about 16″ of snow and now it feels like summer.
Nick had the idea of making HOBO stew which is basically a poor mans (somewhat) version of pot roast. I went to Harmons on my lunch break thinking that I’d grab some ground turkey for making the stew but Harmons has such an amazing selection of meats that I decided to pick up something a little more interesting: Bison. I also decided to sub in fingerling potatoes in place of regular yukons.
I had a few pesky errands and a meeting to deal with this afternoon but then it was time to grill!
If you are planning on making this meal just know that there is no set recipe all you need is some ground beef (or turkey, bison, etc), potatoes, carrots and any other veggies. Add a little Pot Roast seasoning, water and a tsp of oil. Wrap up tightly and put it right on the grill.
We enjoyed our HOBO stew with Wasatch Raspberry Wheat (it just SCREAMS summer!) MMMmmm!
For dessert we enjoyed some leftover Pina Colada Cake which the boys and I made over the weekend. Hobo stew and hanging out on the patio until the sunset: yeah I could bum out like this all the time. Don’t have to twist my arm!
Pina Colada Cake
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 25 min Makes 2 8″ rounds
- White Cake Mix (I used Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic White)
- 1 6oz Pineapple Chobani
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Crushed Pineapple
- Coconut Pudding (optional)
- Whip Cream
- Combine the cake mix, Chobani, eggs and water. Mix together thoroughly.
- Taste test the batter
- Line 2 8″ round cake pans with parchment paper on the bottom *see photos* and cooking spray on the sides.
- Fill each cake pan about ¼ full and bake as directed on cake mix.
- Let cake cool thoroughly before removing from pans.
- Place the first round on a serving plate.
- Cover the first round with coconut pudding – just barely reaching the edge.
- Add the pineapple and spread evenly.
- Place the second round on top.
- Serve with whip cream.
- **You can cover the whole cake with something like cool whip but I like it sans whip until serving.
Alright you crazy kids I’m off to play some Mario Bros with the fam bam! See ya in the morning!